“You have Silas fix you some of the best scrambled eggs west of the Mississippi.”
Jarrod Barkley “Judgment in Heaven” (Season 1, Episode 15, December 22, 1965)
Yield: 18 squares, approximately 3 servings
3 large eggs (approximately ¾ cup of eggs)
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
3 dashes hot sauce
Pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
Dash of salt (optional)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter as a single pat of butter
6 tablespoons finely grated or crumbled sharp white cheddar, gouda, pecorino, blue, or gorgonzola cheese, divided
- Warm oven to 225°F.
- Place eggs, cream, hot sauce and pepper in a medium-sized bowl with tall sides.
- Vigorously whisk for four minutes.
- Heat a 6-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- When hot, stick a fork in the slab of butter and run the butter around the bottom of the skillet until it is coated with butter. Use immediately for soft, yellow exterior. Alternatively, allow butter to brown slightly for brown flecked exterior.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of egg mixture into the middle of the hot cast iron skillet, tilting the pan to create a very thin layer that covers the bottom of the pan.
- When the top of the egg layer appears solid, place 1 teaspoon of cheese in the center of the egg layer.
- Use a very thin spatula to fold the 4 sides of the egg over the melting cheese, creating a small square.
- Carefully place the square on the cookie sheet in the warmed oven and cover with tin foil to prevent the egg square(s) from drying out.
- Repeat steps 5-9 until approximately 18 egg squares are completed.
- Carefully place in warmed serving dish. Cover.